Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Come As You Are

Choosing Hayes Barton Baptist Church is something a lot of people have done through its 85 years and a lot of people continue to do.  My husband Jim and I chose it two years ago, and we are happy with the choice we made.  There are a lot of reasons why choosing Hayes Barton Baptist Church was right for us.  And in my travels for this Heritage, Hope, Home blog, I’ve found another whose faith story offers the choice of Hayes Barton Baptist Church.   

Sandra Baird is in my Sunday School Class, the Koinonia Class.  Always helpful, Sandra volunteered to share for the 85th anniversary blog her thinking behind choosing Hayes Barton Baptist Church to be her place of worship.  She thoughtfully offers: 

I looked at the opportunity to accept a job transfer to Raleigh as an exciting adventure, realizing that integrating into a new community could have challenges.  One thing I knew for sure was the best way to learn about a new place and to start feeling connected was to find a church home.  I spent several months visiting churches, even being open to non-Baptist churches.  My criteria included not only a dynamic minister, but the choir needed to have that quality of ministering to the congregation. 

As I took driving trips around Raleigh, I came upon a beautiful church on Glenwood Avenue, nestled in the Five Points intersection.  The first Sunday I visited, I was taken in by the feeling of the reverence and warmth of the sanctuary.  The traditional décor and the overall demeanor of the congregation, the feeling of being in God’s presence, and just knowing this was where I was being led. 

Then the choir sang and the music was amazing, and I knew I was in the right place.  I continued to come to church, but wanted to be part of a Sunday School class and yes to join the choir.  Music is such a part of my life and being able to join the choir made feel like I was “home.”  I joined the Koinonia Class and realized I had not only found a “home,” but I had found a family. 

That first visit to Hayes Barton Baptist Church was in 2004, and I still have the same feeling every time I enter the sanctuary --- What an amazing God we serve.  I hold dear the verse – Jeremiah 29:11 “I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for a hope and future.”  God certainly had plans, when He led me to Hayes Barton and the wonderful people that are members of this family.  I am Blessed.   

In talking with Sandra about Hayes Barton Baptist Church, I heard what I hear many people say about it; it is a traditional church.  “It is traditional,” adds Sandra, “in that it holds true to the timeless values of Faith, Hope, and Love. And it is careful about traditions.”

There is a “balance” of traditions with newer ways of worship, according to Sandra.  And there are efforts to make sure that members have “ownership” so that the church can be a vibrant community for all ages.

When change is undertaken, “Hayes Barton Baptist Church prayerfully moves to next steps,” says Sandra.  Starting with Dr. David Hailey, the pastor, and throughout the ministerial staff, there is, describes Sandra, “investment and involvement.  The ministerial staff is involved, and the people are involved.”

With the heritage of Hayes Barton Baptist Church being one of tradition and the hope being in its investment and involvement, the home that is Hayes Barton Baptist Church is in the people and relationships that develop.  “Sunday School is a key part of this,” says Sandra, “as it offers an embracing family, just like home.  People genuinely care about one another.  Needs are met. Challenges are presented.  Different points of view can be expressed, and everyone is still embraced.”

After talking about it some, Sandra shared that choosing Hayes Barton Baptist Church was really reflective of a church that says “Come as you are.”  “It is an accepting and welcoming church,” concludes Sandra. 

And as Sandra looks to another job transfer and another church choice, Hayes Barton Baptist Church wishes her blessings upon blessings that she finds a church that will be her new home. Sandra will always be welcome to come back home to Hayes Barton Baptist Church, though.  “Come as you are,” Sandra, and we will say “Welcome” as we so often do.

No comments:

Post a Comment