Monday, September 12, 2011

Faith Stories

I will divert from writing about one person’s faith story today and instead write about the faith stories of many of Hayes Barton Baptist Church’s members.  Perhaps my motivation is a bit selfish as I want to take a breath on the twelfth day of this project and write about something a bit different.  With that said, my focus is still on a part of the 85 years of HBBC and, in fact, represents something that was started after the 75th anniversary in 2001.  In keeping with celebrating the 85th anniversary, it is also reflective of our theme of “Heritage, Hope, and Home.”
So, without further introduction, today’s focus is on the faith stories of those who are “Companions in Christ.”
To be honest, focusing on Companions in Christ allows me to write a bit about someone who is a part of Hayes Barton Baptist Church’s recent history.  That person is Julia Ledford.  As many of you know, Julia retired in 2009 from her position as associate pastor.  She had served the church fifteen years, starting in the role of minister with children.
I wrote an extensive faith story about Julia before she retired.  We are more than a year out from her retirement now and people still need only refer to “Julia” and those who hear know the reference.  Julia’s contributions to Hayes Barton are numerous and lasting.  Yet perhaps the one contribution that is most lasting and may be even part of the thinking behind the gathering of 85 faith stories for this blog is her seeding and growth of Companions in Christ.
As Julia wrote in a booklet entitled “Companions in Christ:  A Small-Group Experience in Spiritual Formation”:
“A group of nine women agreed to review the first unit of the study as a pilot group in the fall of 2003.  To the amazement of each one in the group, when they reached the end of the five weeks, they did not want to end.  They continued to complete the full 28-week course….Five subsequent groups found a similar experience as they moved through the study.”
Companions in Christ is a spiritual formation curriculum that is published by the Upper Room.  A number of Hayes Barton Baptist Church’s women have taken this journey, and a few years ago Julia gathered some of their thoughts about their journeys. While their thoughts represent small slices of their stories, they reflect one path that members of Hayes Barton Baptist Church can take to grow closer to God. 
A sampling from a few of the journeys from some of the travelers, some of whom may again show up in this blog:
“Growing up and actively participating in the church all my life, I have always known that Jesus Loves Me.  However, this journey has impressed upon me just how deeply He cares for me and is eager to fulfill His plan for my life.  So many things about this study made me realize what a complex work of art we humans are and what intricate thought and time the Master Artist took with every detail.”            ~Tonya Hill
“When we truly commit to a search for greater understanding of who God is and who He has created us to become, we should not ignore the fact that the search may lead to something beyond our comfort level, something beyond our sometimes self-imposed limitations.  The Companions in Christ study would become significant in my life and spiritual journey in a way that I could not have foreseen.  For me, it would bring some significant closure and would be a beginning to a greater acknowledgement of God and a deeper understanding of His love.”  ~Peggy Murray
“Companions in Christ gave me a time of introspection and evaluation of where I’ve been and where I’m going.  One of the best parts was sharing this with Christian friends.  Some of the Companions I’d known a long time but not well.  Two of them I knew not at all.  When the study was over, I felt closeness to all of them.  They and the study eased my time of grief and set my eyes on those things that sustain us—Jesus and His love, prayer that draws us closer to Him, love and support of Companions in Christ.” ~ Betty Griffin
“During Companions in Christ, I have truly experienced a renewed awareness of Christ’s presence and I have concentrated on my being in His presence.  My walk is much stronger because of Companions.  Bible study, sharing faith stories of our Christian journey, seeing similarities and differences, praying for each other’s concerns all have been part of stretching, expanding and awakening me to God’s tremendous love and presence in my daily life.” ~Vivian Hughes
From these stories, one can see that Hayes Barton Baptist Church affords members the opportunity to grow closer to God through offerings such as Companions in Christ.  Offering such opportunities is part of who the church is, part of its heritage, part of the hope it offers, and part of the reason many members see it as their church home. 
Faith stories like the ones shared in this article give believers comfort in knowing that others are also believers and they enable those who aren’t believers to see that they can choose to journey to be close to God, to be companions with Christ.  Although only part of Hayes Barton Baptist Church since 2003, Companions in Christ has added to the “Heritage, Hope, and Home” that is Hayes Barton Baptist Church.
    


No comments:

Post a Comment