Saturday, September 24, 2011

One of Many

I haven’t asked this question in any of the other conversations to date but, for some reason, I asked today’s person what his favorite Bible scripture is.  And I’m glad I did as I think the question may become one of my stock questions.  The person offers Micah 6:8 as his favorite: 

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
   And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. 

                                                                                                                       ~NIV

The reason I’m glad I asked is because I think the man, Bob Hutzler, reflects the scripture.  I met with Bob Hutzler at his office on a rainy Friday afternoon.  He was preparing for an upcoming meeting but graciously took time to talk about his journey and Hayes Barton Baptist Church. I know Bob from Stephen Ministry as he is one of five Stephen Ministry Leaders that we have in our church.  I also know that he is someone who was recommended to me for inclusion in the 85 stories.  Read on and you’ll learn why if you don’t already know.

Bob and Marsha Hutzler have been members since 2001. “Marsha and I had moved to Cary and were looking for a church home.  We started visiting churches and probably went to about a dozen over a year’s time,” recalls Bob.  “We had occasion to watch Dr. Hailey on TV and, more and more, he and Hayes Barton Baptist appealed to us.  We started attending and conversing with Dr. Hailey.  Being a lifelong Baptist, the church was more natural for me although Marsha had a connection to the church being a third cousin of Dr. Cashwell.”  By Easter 2000, Bob and Marsha “knew we had found our church home,” and Marsha was baptized.

In addition to Dr. Hailey, “the other draw to Hayes Barton was the amount of missions being done and the opportunities to serve,” says Bob.  “I have always known that I have a servant’s heart and that I have been given opportunities to serve others.”  Bob’s service includes activities like Meals on Wheels, driving the Springmoor bus, being one of four teachers of the Fellowship Class, serving on the Parking Task Force, the Building and Grounds Committee, and the Budget and Finance Committee.  Bob is a deacon and, as noted before, a Stephen Ministry Leader.

Since I am a Stephen Minister, our conversation somewhat naturally turned to talking about Stephen Ministry, a relatively new ministry at Hayes Barton Baptist Church.  As a leader, Bob and our other leaders had to attend training in order for Hayes Barton Baptist Church to begin the ministry.  Bob was impressed with the training and “the number of people I met from all over the country and all walks of life.  All are dedicated to serving Jesus Christ through this ministry.  People of all faiths were being trained by learning and interacting with one another.”

One of the stories Bob related is how attendees were paired together as prayer partners.  The pairs met through the week’s training and prayed for each other.  Bob’s partner was a very accomplished professional who revealed struggles with public praying.  Bob and the man worked on this through the week and, by week’s end, “prayers were answered” so to speak, and the man was praying out loud in front of the group without any difficulty. 

Bob shares this story not to take credit but to demonstrate the power of prayer and the power of the one-to-one connection that is the focal point of what Stephen Ministry is.  As the training coordinator, Bob has had to train we lay ministers in active listening and process-oriented conversation.  And he made us role play and role play and role play!  All, it turns out, to prepare us well for our caregiving relationships.

Bob considers himself a lifelong Baptist, but he doesn’t quite have the history that one supposes when hearing that description since his family didn’t attend church.  Growing up in Martinsburg, West Virginia, Bob was a typical boy who wanted to play basketball.  Sports, scouts, and other activities were offered at First Baptist Church.  “One of the church leaders took me under his wing,” recalls Bob.  “And I was baptized when ten years old.”

Bob translates his faith to his work and vice versa.  “I’m blessed in this way,” he shares, “The company I work for and the business I am in are about serving other people.  There is a natural transition from work to church for me.”

Although a member for just over a decade, Bob sees change as part of Hayes Barton Baptist Church’s recent heritage.  “The church has expanded its local ministry.  Of course, there now is the Family Life Center.   There are more mission trips.  And there is Stephen Ministry which affords the opportunity for people to walk side by side with a listening ear and understanding heart.”

The hope of the church is “that we continue missions and programs to serve more and more people as we are instructed to do by the message of Jesus Christ,” says Bob.  “We need to reach as many people as possible.”  And this is where scripture entered the discussion.  “To act justly and love mercy and walk humbly with God” (Micah 6:8).  “That verse is one I came to learn from Judge Britt in the Fellowship Class,” shares Bob.   “I dedicated my testimony at my deacon ordination to Judge Britt, and I based my testimony on that verse.”

Bob obviously bases more on that verse than his testimony.  He defines his work and his church life with that verse.  While matter of factly describing all he does, Bob quickly points out he is “one of many” at Hayes Barton Baptist Church who serve in similar ways.    “There are many with servant hearts at Hayes Barton Baptist,” says Bob.  Yes there are.  They “act justly…love mercy…and walk humbly with God.”  The 85 stories are evidence of this as, taken individually, we see “one” like Bob amongst the many, and, taken together, we see the “many” that make Hayes Barton Baptist Church the church it is today, one that has a heritage, offers hope, and feels like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment